- Charles Max Wood
- Mark Erikson
- Josh Adams
- Eric Berry
Special Guests: Hubert Lepicki
In this episode of Elixir Mix, the panel talks to Hubert Lepicki about his blog post "When to use Elixir language?". Hubert works at AmberBit where they traditionally created Ruby on Rails apps for their customers, and more recently, they switched to using Elixir to build custom apps for their customers. They talk about why they decided to switch to Elixir, his thoughts on Ruby now, and the difference between Elixir and Ruby. They also touch on what his Ruby code looks like now, compare Elixir with Node, and more!
In particular, we dive pretty deep on:
- Huber intro
- Works at AmberBit
- Ruby on Rails to Elixir
- Why did you switch to Elixir?
- How did you stumble upon Elixir?
- Problems with scaling Ruby
- Looked at Clojure and other functional stacks before Elixir
- Used it as a means to optimize performance in the beginning
- What are your thought on Ruby now?
- Making things easier with Elixir and Erlang
- How was the learning curve as you started to get into Elixir?
- Learning curve was harder than expected
- “Elixir is nothing like Ruby”
- Elixir syntax is borrowed from Ruby
- Functional languages
- Going through a mental shift
- Does your Ruby look funky now?
- What does Elixir offer that Node doesn’t?
- Issues with Node
- What is it that Elixir is good at that makes you want to use it?
- Elixir provides great balance
- And much, much more!
- "When to use Elixir language?"
- Ruby on Rails
- Hubert’s GitHub
- AmberBit’s Blog
- Iron Druid Chronicles
- iPad Lock through guided access mode
- Ongoing learning and continuing personal development